Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Now it's just a waiting game...

Since we accepted our contracts with Heritage International School life has been hectic to say the least.  We have had massive to do lists and checking each thing off the list created a huge sense of accomplishment.  This is mostly because everything I do during the day I do with the kids.  The kids are great and charming and sweet and RAMBUNCTIOUS!  Both of them!  It certainly makes a trip to the insurance company or doctor or passport office far more exhausting! 

However, now that we are approximately 6 weeks away from departing Winnipeg the business is slowing down.  The list is getting shorter and now we can really focus on "getting ready" to go.  The logistics of travel are always important to get out of the way, but, since this is a long term trip there is so much more to prepare for.

For example, in May we went to Mexico.  We spent a beautiful week in the sun and swimming everyday without a care in the world.  Of course I knew the basic phases, "Hola, de nada and gracias", but that was about as far as I was planning to go.  Sure we visited the Hacienda...but only the one on the resort and other then venturing out to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum that were 10 minutes away we did not experience much of the Mexican culture.  And I felt that was fine because we were there to experience resort life and relax...PLUS, it was only for one week, then we were going home.  If I said something inappropriate of wore something offensive to the locals, it was not like I was living there and going to be there for months or even years.  Therefore, the cultural preparation for the trip to Mexico was minimal...

NOW, the trip to Egypt is 100% different.  The logistics of travel are pretty well finished now, but I do not feel prepared to go yet because I am not yet well versed on the cultural expectations of living there.  Hubby and I have spent a lot of time overseas and understand the IMPORTANCE of immersing yourself into the culture you are living in.  Yes, we are EXpatriates.  We will always be EXpatriates, BUT, we can live in the culture and get to know the people and live like the people that live there.  I cannot wait to meet the people in our building and I cannot wait to meet my students.  There is however, the anxiety of the unknown.  I know what the apartment looks like, but I do not know my neighbors.  I know that there are markets full of people, but I have yet to experience them.  The biggest thing for me is that we fit in to the culture and that will take awhile.

When we were in Tanzania we were expected to dress a certain way and that is expected of our time in Egypt as well.  Many people have asked if I have to cover my head and the answer in "NO", unless I am on sacred Muslim ground or in a Mosque.  But there are certain expectations in way of dress and behavior.  No problem there, but it will take awhile to learn.  In Tanzania I had the chance to sit down with the Mama of the house and discuss cultural expectations with her; it was basically a mini ethnography.  I quickly realized that things like clothing, appearance and language are very superficial layers of culture.  As you get to know the people, talk with them and share their experiences, you begin to get to the deeper layers of culture.  Much like that of an onion.  An expatriate may never get to the core of the culture, but it is necessary to peel away the layers so that life as an expatriate can be more fulfilling.

So, it is because of an ONION that we have chosen to live in the city where the school is.  Almost all the teachers at the school will be living in another city that is 1 hour away by bus.  That city is occupied primarily by expatriates.  We will have the chance to go an visit there at times as it has many amenities that will be welcomed reminders of home, but it is just not the Egyptian experience we were looking for.  We can get to know North Americans whenever we want.  We want to know the people.

So, join with us as we peel away the layers of the onion and experience the Egyptian culture.  I am sure it will be an adventure we will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment