Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween in Egypt

I did not really expect to participate in Halloween events in Egypt.  I am not sure why, I just figured it was more of a Western thing to do.  Overall, I have not seen much observance of Halloween, but, the International Schools and Compound Communities do partake in such Halloween rituals as dressing up and trick or treating.

The school had some substantial decorating and Halloween related events, none of which I was super excited to participate in.  I enjoy the kids in costumes and the trick or treating side of Halloween, but everything else I could do without.  I will always remember the first time we took Princess trick or treating last year.  She stayed out for over 2 hours in the crisp Manitoba fall weather.  She loved knocking on the doors and collecting the candy.  I chose her costume, she was Snow White...and a very chubby Snow White at that, since she had her winter coat on.

Now, one year later, she chose her costume herself, and mommy had to put it together for her.  She wanted to be Pinkalicious.  A teacher friend of ours here introduced us to the world of the Pinkalicious book series.  Pinkalicious is a little girl who loves pink...AKA our Princess.  This little girl ate too many pink cupcakes and as a result turned completely PINK!  So, of course she had to be Pinkalicious.  Right down to the pink skin. 



Princess at the school waiting for her body paint.  Posing with the ghost.

Some of the decorations at the school...can you seen Pinkalicious?

One more pose before the painting begins!

This is the school from the back garden...it is October 31st and glorious out!  My classroom is on the top floor, the third and fourth window from the left...Hubby's is the first and second window from the right.

The school was chaos overall and in the end I was unable to escape the chaos of Halloween.  The students seemed to think that Halloween meant that they did not have to learn and they resented me for trying to teach them.  They even had a quiz to write and even though it was an easy, 10 minute quiz, they did not appreciate having to put effort into the quiz, but they pulled through and did very well.  When I sit in their chair and view the day from their perspective, I would resent me too.  Who gives a quiz on Halloween anyway!

Other than the events at the school we did not do much for Halloween.  The kids went to bed early because they were exhausted and they have been sleeping soundly for several hours now.  Now it is time for mommy to go to bed because tomorrow is another day to shape young minds.


No comments:

Post a Comment