Friday, November 18, 2011

A Whirlwind Week...

It is Friday, and we are exhausted.  It was the first week back from the holiday and the students returned with more energy than expected...report cards were due on Tuesday and we moved on Tuesday as well.

Yes, that's correct.  We moved.  We have been in Egypt for three months and we relocated to what we hope will be our home for the duration of our time here.  Our first flat was great in many ways, but, had several flaws that were dangerous for the kids...including being on the third floor with an unstable balcony.  The flat that we have moved to is tremendous in many ways.

1) We are on the ground level and have a garden.  Not everyone in Egypt can say that.  It is so nice to let the kids out to play and know that they cannot run out onto the street.  Concrete walls all around the garden make it difficult for them to climb out as well.

2) It is twice as big.  The first flat was cozy, but small for a family of 4.  There are many more spaces for the kids to make messes in at the new flat. 

3) It is only a 5 minute walk from the school.  I always wanted to live close to where I worked.  It has finally occurred!

So, we moved into the new flat on Tuesday and it was not quite ready for us.  As of today, we still do not have a functioning washing machine, but are doing okay without it for now.  I probably will not be saying that in a day or two but we will see.  My time in Tanzania taught me how to hand wash clothing very well, so if all else fails, I can hand wash. 

We are slowly making the new flat our home.  The kids like it here a lot more than the old place, more space to run around.  Probably the most interesting development since we moved is that we are getting to know the people around us more.  Living in the old flat we were kind of sheltered by our landlady. Now, we are meeting people on the streets and being invited for tea.  It is almost like we were placed in the first flat to adjust to life in Egypt, and then we were sent off on our own.  I am very excited about the possibility of getting to know the people in our little neighborhood.  Perhaps it will help with my language learning.

Learning Arabic has been very challenging for me.  I have always been very quick to pick up new languages, but Arabic is different.  First, I cannot read it, and second, the sounds in Arabic are very different.  Everyday I pick up new words and try to use them as much as possible.  But, since we work in an English school, with Canadian staff, I do not ``need`` to learn Arabic.  But, I want to, so the Arabic teacher at the school is getting me set up with some materials.  I am not so concerned about reading and writing at this point, just communicating so we will see if I can expand my vocabulary in the next couple months.

With the move, the busy schedule from school and the change in weather, Hubby and I are both under the weather...and I have caught a case of pink eye.  So, the weekend could not come soon enough for us.  No excitement here this weekend.  Washing dishes and floors, getting the house set up and going to bed early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment