Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Then There Were Nine...

Wow!  Time flies when you are having fun!  We have been back in Canada since June 27th and now, we are looking at having only 9 more days here with family and friends.  It has been fabulous to reconnect with those that we have missed during our time in Egypt. 

But, at the same time, Egypt has become our home; and, like most times you are away from home, you start to miss it.

In ways, we are very ready to go back.  In others, I could see us staying here much, much longer.  But, when it is time to board that plane, I know that we are headed back to our home.

When I was a student, summer vacations were never, ever long enough (even though I forced my siblings to `play`school during summer break).  As a teacher, I have come to the conclusion that they are FAR too long!  I think I was ready to get back in the classroom 2 weeks ago.  Ever since then, my mind has been spinning with idea after idea. I have had to run to find a piece of paper of a computer before my excellent idea withered away into oblivion. 

My classroom has been decorated already...in my mind of course.  It looks great.  Hopefully it will look as good on the walls as it does in my mind.  I have full units of study ready to go...unfortunately, it has to wait until September 4th. 

In the meantime, we still have 9 days left here in the prairies and then we lift off for Egypt.  I think that they will be very full days where we will be seeing lots of people, going to lots of fun places and of course, dealing with our luggage (I really despise packing).  It seems that no matter how hard we try, we always have more things that we have space.  And, with the change in luggage allowance from 2 bags each, to 1, packing becomes a LOT more difficult.

In the end, it is a reminder that we have too much stuff.  It forces you to re-evaluate the value of the things you have and why you acquired them in the first place.  We will be leaving things behind, saying farewell to some of the kids favorite toys and donating some clothes.  In the end, the philanthropic nature of departing with things has been beneficial for our children.  It helps us remember to hold dear the things that are most important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment