Saturday, July 23, 2011

And It's Out of Here!

Today was our garage sale...the weather forecast was ominous and we weren't sure what was going to happen.  We spent two full days loading up the garage with our precious possessions expecting rain and I had nightmares about people taking things without paying and of those horrible pink and yellow price stickers...and what did the Lord provide?  A cool morning with a beautifully sunshine filled afternoon and incredibly honest people that hardly even bargained...granted there were a few bargainers out there, but for the most part people accepted the prices we were asking.  It was a tremendous blessing.

I could hardly believe it when I looked outside at 8:15 and saw droves of people flooding our garage.  I think that there were 15-20 people in there at one point.  We DID have a lot of stuff in there which was good and most of it is now gone.  If you have read any of my previous posts about the liquidation of our possessions you would know that I have been feeling less burdened by my stuff and today was no exception.  There were a couple things that were harder to say goodbye to, like my Barbie Ferrari from when I was young, but when a little girl pulls on my pant leg and says she only has three dollars and really wants the car you have to let her take it!  I can say that I am a sucker for cute kids!

Hubby was awesome as he dealt with our "customers" and carried around his messenger bag of change.  He is such a great salesperson and I am sure that is a big reason we had such success today.  I have never really hosted a garage sale so I do not know what is normal for a garage sale, but I think it went well.  I don't think it slowed down until 1 PM...and even at that we still had a steady flow of people and even repeat customers!  It is nice to know that our items have found good, new homes and can be helpful to others.

If you have never purged your items through a garage sale I recommend that you try it.  If something has been sitting around for a long time then it is probably worth trying to sell because you never know what people are looking for!  We sold tons of Christmas stuff, even though it is tough to think of Christmas now when it is so sunny and beautiful out!  Two things that we found were incredibly helpful to our garage sale was a) that we advertised for one full week prior to our garage sale on Kijiji.  We had over 2500 hits on our ad and when we asked those that came where they heard of our garage sale, 95% said from Kijiji.  Still put signs up, but ADVERTISE...and make it a top ad and a banner ad, it stays on top as long as you have it posted and pays off!  b) Make your sale space organized and look like a store!  We had many comments on how they could tell we cared about our stuff because we took the time to organize it properly.

Our house is now even more empty...we have no plates to eat on or pots and pans to cook with...we will probably be eating out for much of the next week, but our goal was to store as little as possible and I think that we have reached that goal!  Thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello and goodbye...we appreciate and love you all, and if you picked something up on your visit I hope that you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment