Thursday, December 15, 2011

My first four months as a "real" teacher...

Okay, I have hardly posted anything on this blog about the transition from University and Student Teaching to life as a "real" teacher.  I have to say that most of the time I do not feel like a "newbie" in the classroom.  That may come from teaching EAL in the Czech Republic all those years ago, or the time I spent as a Lab Demonstrator for Human Anatomy.  I have always felt comfortable in front of a group of people, especially in front of students.

It has been a whirlwind four months of teaching though.  The process of setting up a classroom that is conducive to learning is more challenging that it would seem, especially with two little ones running around trying to "help".  It did not help that I had no idea what my classroom would look like, so I had to think on the fly with the supplies and resources I could access here.  I cannot just make my way to the store and pick up some borders and posters.  That is not an option here.  The other challenge was the fact that the walls are all concrete.  There is only so much you can do; sticky tack is a hot commodity here.

Once I got the classroom set up the way I liked, I found out that my teaching assignment had changed.  I was no longer teaching grade 7 Social Studies and Math.  Rather, I was going to teach grade 7, 8 and 9 math.  The biggest problem then became that I had to set up ANOTHER classroom.  I had spent all my energy and clever ideas on the first classroom. I was completely exhausted from classroom design.  I kept in minimal and simple as the teaching assignment change was supposed to be only temporary.  Then as the days, weeks and months rolled by, the more permanent the assignment change felt.  That is when I decided to finally decorate the classroom.  I was spending so much time there, I wanted there to be color.  White walls were starting to feel a little too institutional.

In University, they send the teachers-to-be to actual schools for the first week to see the "start of school experience" through watching other teachers start the year.  In reality, they should send the teachers-to-be to the school the two weeks before too because setting up a classroom is much more challenging that it would seem to be.  Then during that start of school experience, the teachers-to-be sit and watch.  I did this two years in a row, and no matter how closely I paid attention or how many notes I took, nothing could actually prepare me for the "REAL" start of school experience.  There are so many things that I would do differently on that first day, that first class, because it truly sets the tone for the year.  Did I do a terrible job, no.  The students and I have a great rapport and the class moves along well with few issues, but, there are still things that I would do differently.  

So, it is now Christmas holidays and the time really did fly by.  There were glorious moments and challenging moments, some that really challenged my teaching philosophy.  The first unit that I taught in grade 8 and 9 math were also challenging as I had only looked at the curriculum the week before I had to start teaching it.  I had not studied math in University and all I had to fall back on was conventional teaching methodology.  I was teaching one day at a time.  If I looked any farther ahead I would have panicked.  Now, however, I have looked right through the curriculum and feel that I can handle whatever the Mathematics Curriculum wants to throw at me...and next year, if I teach math again, I will certainly address Surface Area of Composite Objects from a different angle.

The students have taught me a lot about myself as well.  I have had to re-evaluate my personal thoughts and methods of teaching to effectively reach students.  In University they prepare you to enter the field of education from a fairly naive position.  Pretty well every problem can be solved through the use of a simple acronym, and if you follow all the steps correctly and in the right order, you will be successful.  Well, teaching is not that simple and although the acronyms float through my mind every once in awhile, the books that made the most impact on my first four months as a "real" teacher are, 'Discipline Without the Stress' and, 'Thanks for Chucking That at the Wall Instead of Me'.

There is no formula to teaching.  There are only ideas.  Ideas that can be attempted and fail miserably while other ideas are attempted and shine brilliantly.  I have tried to keep track of both situations because both can help me grow as a teacher.

I am looking forward to what this career choice will continue to teach me about myself.  There is no telling how many times my patience has been tested over the last four months.  I now know how my grade 8 teacher felt when he dealt with me, "Little Ms. Chatterbox"; my entire class is a replica of me back then.  When I look at my students I see my class back in grade 8...the whole class, not just me.  Not much changes, grade 8's will always be grade 8's and no matter where you are in the world, it does not change much.  But, it is such a glorious age to teach!  I simply love it...


So, today, the school was closed because of the elections.  It was "technically" the last day of classes, but the school had to close.  Many teachers and students are heading of to splendid Christmas holiday locations, ourselves included, but today, we went to the school.  We gutted the classroom again.  I am looking at January as another opportunity to start the year.  Re-establish the class rules, set the tone for the next 5.5 months and have a fresh start.  Plus, I am feeling particularly rejuvenated with the idea of January rolling around for various reasons.

This is by no means the whole sum of what has occurred over the last 4 months at school, however, it is a glimpse.  Did my 5 years at University adequately prepare me for my first 4 months??  I would have to say, yes, in some ways it did.  But, in others, it failed me miserably.  Academically, there is no way I could have been prepared better...that is for the B.A...but, when it comes to the Education Faculty, there is much to be said about on the job training.  Yes, the Universities to facilitate Student Teaching experiences, but, the few weeks teaching consecutively in someone Else's class is nothing compared to having a class of your own.  I have learned more over the last 4 months then I did during my final 2 years of University.  There is something to be said about trial and error and learning from mistakes, and walking victoriously through adversity.  That is something that a book on Classroom Management cannot possibly teach you.  You can do all the Case Studies and research you want, but until you walk through the fire, you never know how YOU will react.  The theories are great, but if you cannot practice what you are learning, there is now way to know if it works for you.

I am not saying that University was useless because without it, I would have never gotten the piece of paper that has permitted me to work in this wonderful profession.  But, perhaps it could re-evaluate the necessity of the books and essays...let us walk through the fire, it is the best way to learn!


No comments:

Post a Comment