Sunday, December 11, 2011

Students and Christmas Songs

I know that I have mentioned this once of twice in my last few blog posts, but, it has continued to amaze me that Christmas is honored in so many different ways here.  Most of the time I believe that it is unintentional, but, it was glorious to walk through the school today and hear Christmas hymns being sung.  So, I had to write about it.

I believe that the majority of the Christmas sentiments found throughout Cairo are to entertain the large Ex-patriot community that resides here.  It is nice to see one tiny aisle devoted to all things Christmas when we go to the store, no matter how poor the quality. 

It was different though, to hear the Christmas hymns.  Of all the songs the music department could have chosen to sing, they are singing songs like, Silent Night, Away in a Manger and Oh Holy Night.  Sure Jingle Bells and Santa Clause is Coming to Town are also on the list, but in Canada, the first two would not be on the Program.  The ironic thing is that when we sing Oh Canada in French the word Cross is taken out.  But, for the Christmas program, singing deliberately about the birth of Christ is acceptable.  Is it merely the Christmas season that permits this type of music to be sung at school, or is it merely a coincidence?  I cannot answer the question.  It was just genuinely relaxing and spiritually edifying to hear such angelic voices singing the traditional Christmas Carols..in a school in Egypt of all places.  I do have to wonder however, how children from Muslim families feel about singing these types of songs.  Moreover, what will their families think or feel when they hear the songs they are singing on Tuesday.  But, as I mentioned in a previous post, the Islamic faith believes that Jesus was an important prophet, so perhaps, it is okay for them to sing these types of songs.  It just continues to astound me that in Winnipeg, it is all about Santa and the Elves to appease people from all cultures, and here, in an Islamic country, it is all about all things Christmas, the way it was when I was in elementary school.  I still remember being an Elf in the school play, yet sang Silent Night at the same time.

The Christmas Program will be on Tuesday morning.  I pray that the music will touch the lives of those that attend.  I just wish that I could be there to listen to the music...instead I will be teaching math.  The joys of being a secondary teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment