Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Transition is Complete...

Today marked the first day of the teaching schedule change.  I said goodbye to my grade 8's and 9's in class on Sunday and today was the first time I would normally see them, but did not.  It was bittersweet.  Some of the grade 9's walked past my room while I was teaching the grade 7's.  They waved and smiled and carried on.  Some have mentioned that they missed me in class, which was considerate.  The reality is, that their life continues, as does mine. 

Teaching Social Studies has invigorated me.  It is a subject I was born to teach.  I love sharing ideas with kids, but having them take the ideas and manipulate them and develop philosophies and ideologies on their own.  Taking them out of the textbook is paramount and being abstract in thought has renewed my mind.

Although I enjoyed the black and white reality of math, the gray areas of social studies inspires me.  So, after teaching social studies all day, I feel inspired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment