Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Winds of Change...

This is to follow up on my last blog post.  The winds of change have swept through my classroom, my teaching schedule and the lives of my students.  The worst has past, but I dreaded today.

When I first arrived in Egypt, I was asked to change my teaching assignment because one of the teachers did not come to fulfill her contract.  She was supposed to teach grade 8, 9 and 10 math.  Me, being the life long learner and jack of all trades that I am, thought it would be a great opportunity to learn something new.  Not really thinking, I jumped at the opportunity to teach math.  It did not really occur to me that I had not taken a math class since grade 12 and that I had never taken any type of teaching mathematics methodologies in University.  I solely relied on my ability to teach.  The change was only temporary after all and the administration assured me that within 2 weeks - 1 month there would be a qualified math teacher at the school to take over where I left off.

I really did not know what to expect other than the change of my schedule to teach math was temporary.  A temporary change I could handle because as I looked at Unit 1 of the grade 9 math curriculum, I really had to practice to make sure I knew what I was doing.  There were ups and downs in the first two weeks of teaching grade 8 and 9 math, but, I have not learned so much in such a short period of time in a long time.  Two weeks passed and there was no new teacher.

So, I started investing time in making the classroom look nicer and more colorful.  I started collecting resources and getting settled in the 2nd of two classrooms I was working out of.  I continued to think that there would be a new teacher coming in a couple weeks and reminded myself not to get too comfortable because I was still teaching math "temporarily". 

Another 2 weeks passed and there was no word about a new teacher.  I had been teaching math for a month and was really starting to get the hang of things.  I was thankful for the pre-produced math homework books because they were a lifesaver.  I was almost through the first unit and I began to prepare the first test.  I had to think hard about that one...I had only written math tests, never created one from scratch.  But, again, I relied on my teaching experience and drafted a test that ended up being a big challenge for the students.  Lesson learned, I thought, but there would surely be a new teacher by the time I would have to write the next test. The administration continued to look for a new teacher, but, there was no one booking a flight so I continued to get comfortable.

Then two months passed.  I was set in my ways.  I had established routines, learned from mistakes and celebrated with the students when the grasped key concepts with ease.  I was getting comfortable and when I sent emails out with my teaching role under my name, "grade 7, 8 and 9 mathematics", I felt proud of myself and my job.  Sure, I made more mistakes than a veteran math teacher, but, I knew I was getting through to the kids.  Plus, I was getting a little attached to them.

Then three months passed and the second unit came to an end.  The students blew through the test with ease and I finally decided that perhaps I was doing a good job.  All along I had been teaching math to the best of my ability, staying a lesson or two ahead of the students.  But, they were being successful.  I had to be doing something right!  I was excited.  As more and more time passed by, the more I began to feel that the schedule change was permanent and that I would be doing it all year.  Perhaps I should not have started to think that way, but, I was really getting comfortable.

So this takes us to the beginning of December when I learned that they had hired a new teacher for grade 8, 9 and 10 math.  It truly is a wonderful thing for the students to get a qualified, expert math teacher.  I am excited to see where he will take them, not only this year, but in the coming years as well.  I have known about this impending change since the beginning of December and today was the day the students learned that I was moving to my original assignment.  It was only a matter of time before the change happened, but, it is amazing how comfortable you can become once you get settled.  I reminded them periodically that I was a "temporary" teacher for the class, but, I guess as time passed they also became more comfortable. 

So, I went to school today with my heart in my stomach, not really looking forward to telling the students that I have come to appreciate and respect.  Thankfully, the administration took care of the announcement and introduction of the new teacher.  And, at the end of the day, the students are still my students.  Although I will not be teaching them anymore, I am looking forward to seeing them in the halls, joking around with them and hearing how their classes are going.  I can still offer the sage wisdom that only I can share with them even though I will not be, "their" teacher anymore.  But, with the separation from the mathematics, I gain an adventure with Geography which truly excites me because it is something that I have actually studied and prepared to teach. 

The adventure has not come to an end, but a chapter has come to a close.  Farewell mathematics.  I have discovered a new found respect for you calculations and your formulas and I cherish the moments we shared together.  And, consider that, Confessions of a First Year Teacher...Number 1.

1 comment:

  1. Considering these kids come from a land that *invented* the first numerals, I'd feel over my head too! :)

    ReplyDelete