Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Unexpected Mother's Day

In Egypt, Mother's Day is today...March 21st. I do not know why it is in March, but, it was an unexpected, fairly significant event!  Today, students came in to school, most of them greeted me with, "Happy Mother's Day", some brought gifts of significant value, others brought flowers. But, no matter what, it is always nice to feel appreciated out of the blue. 

My kids knew about this day as well.  Well, maybe they did not know, but, the nursery helped them prepare some pretty stellar and heart warming crafts today.  The poems were very cute and I could not help but smile.

This whole concept of unexpected gratitude and feeling unexpectedly appreciated got me thinking about what I can do to thank those around me and provide them with the unexpected appreciation.  I admit, it was nice to be noticed, and, if I liked it, I am sure that others would like it too!

Too often, unintentionally, I walk around in my little personal bubble. I rush about making lunches, dressing kids, prepping lesson plans for the next day, photocopying, rushing to my supervision duties and other "pressing" issues. I walk around with blinders on, going from one event to another.  I do not think that I am alone on this issue. I think that it has become a part of the North American culture...the "ignore your neighbor and do whatever you can to help yourself succeed", has been damaging to the lives of many and can be a very slippery slope if you start to depend solely on yourself.  We were given family, friends, co-workers and neighbors for a reason!  We need to learn to depend on each other a little more...and in doing so, develop a community of people that you can trust and rely on. There is no shame in that!

Sometimes, it is the unexpected that reminds you that the blinders are up. They tend to sneak up on me...I hardly notice them.  But, they are dangerous and it is always the unexpected that quickly brings me that realization.  So, here is to Mother's Day, and the pleasant reminder that it is the people in your life that matter most; like these little cuties below...

Mother's Day morning...the kiddos had a photo shoot on the balcony.

They would take one picture, trade places, and pose for a new picture, excitedly exclaiming cheese!

The crafts the kids made at nursery. the flower was made with handprints and the leaves with footprints.  The center of the flower were pictures of the kids. Dimples is on the left and Princess is on the right.



"It was not so easy to make a card before three, 
But I want you to see,
Something that was really done by me...
Happy Mother's Day; Mommy!
(Card from Dimples)

My dirty little fingerprints I've left on every wall,
And on the drawers and tabletops, I've really marked them all.
But here are some that won't rub off, I'm giving them to you.
Because I'm thankful to have a mom that's just like you!
(Card from Princess)

2 comments:

  1. "unexpected appreciation"..... something i'll have to chew on the rest of the day... thanks Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is something that I have really embraced in the past couple months. When I am down and blue, I do something to make someone else's day. It is the great mood changer...more than quiche!

    ReplyDelete