Friday, March 2, 2012

What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up

When you were in elementary school, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I always wanted to be a doctor...or a dentist.  When I was really young I was determined to be both.  Doctor by day, Dentist by night.  Or the other way around it did not matter.  When I got older I was going to be an Orthopedic Surgeon...until I took Grade 11 Physics.  Then I had no idea what I was going to do or what I was going to be...a teacher was not at the top of my list...more like the bottom.  So how did I become a teacher...

When I was in grade 3, my teacher told my mom that I would be a teacher one day.  Something about grasping new material quickly and then turning around to teach my classmates.  During summer holidays, I played school with my reluctant siblings.  I was always the teacher, they were the students.  When I was 19 I moved to Europe and taught EAL...but I was still not going to be a teacher.  But, as time elapsed, it was quite evident that a teacher was what I was supposed to be.  There is no doubt in my mind now.  It is truly where I am supposed to be.

When Hubby was a little boy he wanted to be a Policeman.  He was going to save the world from all the criminals and bad people out there.  He is not a Policeman, although sometimes he thinks he is at school.  He does enforce rules and regulations at school.  But, he too, has been called to the teaching profession.

The reason I am asking the question, what did you want to be when you grew up, is simply because we have recently had this discussion with Princess.  Her class at school has spent the past month discussing jobs people do.  To complete the unit, they had a show and tell day where they had to come prepared to share what they wanted to be when the grow up.

So, I asked Princess what she wanted to be.  Her answer did not surprise me.  My little three year old looked me straight in the eyes and emphatically stated that she was going to be a cook, just like Auntie.

My sister is a Chef.  Since she was a little girl, she has always liked cooking.  I remember her taking cooking classes and being invited to enjoy a meal that her little group created.  It was breakfast, pancakes, bacon and eggs.  It is something I have always remembered.  She certainly did go on to become a chef.  She is excellent at her job, is extremely creative and her food is always delicious.

My sister watched Princess a couple days a week since she was only 2 months old.  As Princess got older, Auntie worked with her in the kitchen.  I have countless pictures of Princess with flour in her hair, a rolling pin in her hands and a huge smile on her face.  Being in the kitchen is where she likes to be.

Now that we live in Egypt, Princess still likes to help in the kitchen.  She is a wonderful asset, although, our gas powered stove worries me a little bit, but she is determined to help.  

So, Princess wants to be a cook when she grows up.  I packed her school bag with a pink mixing bowl, a whisk and a spatula.  I also sent along a box of cake mix, hoping that the school would let her class make it.  Sure enough, the class ventured down to the kitchen where Princess did her Show and Tell.  They baked the cake and then returned later and her classmates iced the cake.  It was precious.  She really go to show what she wants to do.

Many of the kids in her class came demonstrating that they wanted to be doctors.  Probably half the class came with stethoscopes, but Princess brought a mixing bowl and a whisk.  She is passionate about the kitchen.  We will see where that leads.  At the very least she will be cooking for her family in the future and I can help prepare her for that. 

Sometimes it is beneficial to look back and see yourself through your own childlike eyes.  The world was your oyster...you had the potential to be whatever you wanted to be.  So, what did you want to be when you grew up?  Do you do what you wanted to do when you were a child? 

Deep down, I know that I am.  I think I always knew I would be a teacher.  My sister always wanted to cook...perhaps Princess will follow in her footsteps.  Destined for food greatness.

Ready to start her show and tell.

Mixing with her teacher Ms. Marwa. 

Pouring the batter into the pan.

Icing the cake with her friend Judy after it was baked.



No comments:

Post a Comment