Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Delicious Day...

I wrote this blog a couple of days ago...sorry for the delay in posting...

I do not normally blog about food.  Probably because I spend most of my day at the school and by the time I get home I am tired and do not want to venture into my kitchen.  But, today it is a must!  It is how I spent my day, and my concoctions were too good not to share.

Since the Presidential Elections were yesterday and today, the school closed for homeschooling days and I get to be a housewife, stay home with the kids, read books, and cook.  My little princess is quite the little chef and she is very helpful and motivating in the kitchen.

After a delicious breakfast including french toast with fruit compote, we decided that we would have a picnic by the playground.  Typically, I would try and keep things simple and quick because that is all the time that I have.  But, with no agenda today, I was in the kitchen.

My first creation was a pasta salad with a basil vinaigrette.  The salad was simple enough, elbow noodles, red pepper, tomato and cucumber...but the dressing is what made the salad outstanding.  And so incredibly simple.  It really is a wonder more people do not make their own dressings.  I was one of those store bought dressings people until we moved here.  The dressings that are available are either unappealing, or, expensive because they are imported.  So, I began a quest of making my own...kind of like my journey with soup (as mentioned in a previous post).  The results have been incredible, not to mention, a healthier option for us.

I was going to stop there, but then decided that we needed some type of dessert for our picnic.  I have come across a dynamite oatmeal raisin cookie recipe in the last couple weeks and decided to alter it and put in chocolate chips.  Then the problems began.  I did not have enough butter, or oats.  The batter seemed stickier than before and I fixed it up to the best of my ability expecting a disastrous product.  When they came out of the oven they were moist and delicious; just a little short on oats.  The funny thing is that the place where I got the recipe from considered it a "healthy" cookie.  Really, a "healthy" cookie with one cup of butter in the mix.  I don't think so.  But, still very delicious.

Then, I thought our meal was complete.  I read a monkey book to the kids.  We drew and colored some robots...and I decided we needed a little more.  A burger, but I had no ground beef, only ground turkey.  And basil inspiration hit me again.  Turkey burgers with basil mayo...sounded delicious.  So, back into the kitchen I went and tossed the burgers in the oven (I wish I had a BBQ).  The basil mayo whipped together very quickly, the burgers roasted up really nice.  I sliced up some tomatoes and wrapped everything up.  This is all before 10:30 in the morning.

It was fabulous.  The kids ran around the playground and slid down the slide.  Hubby and I munched on our lunch.  It could not get any better.  The recipes are listed below.  Sorry there are no pictures...the memory card is having some difficulties...

Basil Vinaigrette

1 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 cloves garlic

Option 1: In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.  Let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes.  Then, strain out the basil and garlic.

Option 2: In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.  Put in a food processor until smooth.

Pour over favorite salad.

Lemon Basil Mayo

1 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves fresh garlic
3 tbsp fresh chopped basil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients until smooth.  Let stand for 30 minutes.  Serve on sandwiches or burgers.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1) Cream together butter and sugar until smooth.  Stir in eggs, vanilla and honey. Sift flour, soda and cinnamon.  Stir into creamed mixture.  Stir in oats and raisins.  Form into balls and bake for 10-15 minutes.  Seriously, the best oatmeal cookie ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment